Milani products have long been a staple in my beauty collection.
This US-based brand offers everything from skincare, to base products, and even has a wide range of eyeshadows.
Two of my holy grail, everyday products are made by Malani - their baked bronzer and their baked blush in Luminoso (if you don't have these in your collection I recommend picking them up as soon as you finish reading this article).
So, when I began transitioning to a cruelty free lifestyle I was really curious about Malini's status.
As it turns out, I'm not alone. The most googled thing about this company is what their cruelty free status is.
If so many people are confused about this then it's about time we get to the bottom of things!
Does Milani test on animals?
No, Milani does not test on animals. They do not sell in any of the countries that require animal testing by law.
Leaping Bunny has backed this up by providing Milani with their stamp of approval.
They are also PETA certified. Not that PETA certification holds much meaning anymore.
Unlike other companies, Milani does not pay anyone to carry out third-party testing on animals for them.
During the development of their products, Milani has never tested on animals.
Is Milani cruelty free?
Yes, Milani is cruelty free.
It does not test on animals and it does not sell in China.
All leading cruelty free organizations have awarded Milani cruelty free certification.
And I can honestly say that I've never been happier to find out that a brand is cruelty free.
Is Milani vegan?
While we strive to always be Vegan-friendly, a few of our products contain ingredients such as beeswax, lanolin, and carmine.
Milani does, however, offer a curated catalog of vegan products.” - Milani's website
Milani is not a vegan brand.
They sell products that contain beeswax amongst other things.
However, they do offer a small range of vegan products.
And their last few launches have mostly been vegan.
It is great to see well-respected brands like Milani slowly start to introduce vegan products into their range.
It is really encouraging to see companies starting to link the idea of cruelty free include being vegan.
- PRIME + CORRECT + SET: Make It Last Prime + Correct + Set Setting Spray preps your face, reduces the appearance of imperfections and then locks in for the long haul. You can enjoy up to 16 hours without a crease or smudge in sight. Spray before or after makeup application, or wear it alone for a captivating natural finish.
- LONG-LASTING WEAR: This illuminating finishing spray and makeup primer delivers just the right dose of dewy to your complexion with a cooling, refreshing feeling, while locking in your makeup for up to 16 hours without creasing, smudging or fading!
- VEGAN, CRUELTY-FREE BEAUTY: The vegan formula primes, hydrates, and illuminates your skin. Spray under or over makeup to set your look, or wear on its own for a healthy radiance all day long.
- TIPS & TRICKS: Hold bottle 8-10 inches away from your face and spray in a zigzag formation. Do not spray directly into eyes.
- WE ARE MILANI: Born in East LA, we've always been connected to the rich diversity of our neighborhood, because it’s a place that truly embodies the melting pot of Los Angeles. We're not inspired by couture and top models. Our passion is real people, living real lives. Beauty is for everyone. No matter who you are or where you come from, we're here to fuel your self-expression with makeup for every shade, attitude, and ethnicity. No judgment. No exceptions.
Here are my top 5 vegan product recommendations from Milani:
- Cream to Powder foundation (all shades)
If you like medium coverage foundations that are going to keep you matte all day then you won't want to skip this foundation.
Its smooth touch cream to powder formula leaves a smooth and flawless finish.
Your skin looks blurred and pore-free, but it retains a natural look and never looks cakey.
- Stellar Light, Highlighting Palettes - Holographic Beams
Want a highlight that can be seen from space? You've found what you're looking for.
This is the palette I reach for when I want to impress.
You can't accuse this formula of looking natural or being stubble - but somedays you just don't want either of those things.
This palette comes in two colorways (warm tones and cool tones), and I really can't decide which one I love more.
I will say if you have fair skin you might struggle to use the warm-toned palette.
- Make It Dewy 3-in-1 Setting Spray
If you love the Fenty What It Dew setting spray, but aren't willing to spend the $25+ on it, then this is a dupe that is going to make your day.
Don't tell Riri I said this, but I actually think this Milani setting spray has better lasting power than its Fenty rival.
This setting spray will keep your face looking fresh and dewy all day long.
The sprayer on the bottle is also fantastic and will never ruin your makeup. This is not one to be sleeping on!
- Prime Correct: Corrects Redness & Pore-Minimizing Face Primer
Milani's whole prime correct range is in fact vegan!
This particular primer is my holy grail primer in the dead of summer (when I'm hot, flustered, and hay fever is making my under eyes red).
After a pea-sized dot of this, I go back to looking like a human being again.
Not only is it a top of the range color corrector, but it still manages to do a great job at extending the wear of my makeup.
- Color Harmony Blush Palette
If you have been on either Pinterest or Instagram in the last few years, you'll recognize this product.
This pallet is made up of three different blush tones and is the first vegan blush formula that we have seen from Milani.
Fingers crossed we'll be seeing more of their best sellers becoming vegan over the next few years.
Is Milani Leaping Bunny or PETA approved?
Yes, Milani appears on the Leaping Bunny approved list here but does not appear to be PETA approved as of yet.
Does Milani sell in China?
Milani does not sell in China. It does not sell in stores or online in China.
This means that their products are not tested on animals by law.
China is a huge market and it really warms my heart to see brands boycotting it in order to stand up for their cruelty free beliefs - good on you, Milani!
Who is Milani owned by?
Prior to 2018, Milani was a private company based in both Italy and the United States.
However, in 2018 they were bought out by a private equity firm called Gryphon Investors.
The good news is that Gryphon Investors only owned one other cosmetics company.
This company was Jordana, but they shut down at the beginning of 2021.
When they were running Jordana was also cruelty free.
The company has no history of testing on animals and owns no non-cruelty free brands.
As a lover of cruelty free makeup, it's hard not to get nervous when big companies start buying up smaller ones.
We all know that I'm talking about Este Lauder here.
It can be hard to draw the line between a cruelty free brand and their non-cruelty free parent company.
Thankfully, we do not have to make those kinds of choices when it comes to Malini - they have a clean sheet!
Milani does not test on animals.
Milani does not sell in China.
Some but not all Milani products are vegan.
Milani is cruelty free.
Milani is owned by a private equity firm called Gryphon Investors.
Last update on 2022-10-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API