Laneige is a cult skincare brand that rose to fame along with the 10 step skincare routine.
They are particularly famous for their lip mask and overnight sleeping mask.
Laneige is part of the AMOREPACIFIC group.
This group is the largest beauty company in South Korea and owns many other cult skincare brands including innisfree.
If you've spent any time in the beauty community online you will have heard someone raving about the Laneige lip masks.
This item has been on my to-buy list for a very long time, but I was yet to take the plunge because of the hefty price tag.
Putting together this article has introduced me to the fact that Laneige is not a cruelty free company.
So, sadly I will never get to try the lip mask.
However, later in the article, I've collected some great cruelty free alternatives to this mask.
Is Laneige cruelty free?
“As an enterprise seeking peaceful coexistence between nature, human beings, and businesses, AMOREPACIFIC pledges the elimination of unnecessary animal testing for cosmetics to respect all living creatures.
We have voluntarily discontinued animal testing on cosmetic ingredients and finished goods since 2008.
And as of May 1, 2013, will expand the non-animal testing policy to our suppliers.
Through continuous cooperation with academia, AMOREPACIFIC will further enhance our efforts to develop alternative testing methods.
*Exceptions to this principle will apply however if animal testing is required or bound by local governments or laws.”
The statement above was issued by Laneige's parent company, AMOREPACIFIC.
This is a very misleading statement that I believe has been phrased to make the reader believe that their brands are cruelty free.
However, the small caveat at the bottom proves otherwise.
There is a very brief note at the end of this statement that says any of AMOREPACIFIC's companies would/have tested on animals in countries that require it by law.
Unfortunately, Laneige and other companies in the AMOREPACIFIC are sold in China, where this kind of testing is required.
Because of that, Laneige cannot be considered cruelty free.
Also, I was really stuck by their use of the phrase 'unnecessary animal testing', which implies that there is such a thing as 'necessary animal testing'.
This is such an outdated attitude.
No organization has certified Laneige as cruelty free.
They also do not claim that status for themselves.
Does Laneige test on animals? Does Laneige sell in China?
Yes, Laneige does both of these things.
Because they as a company chose to sell their products in China they are required to have their products tested on animals.
I do not know if Laneige does their animal testing in-house or whether they pay a third-party to do it.
The 'necessity of testing cosmetics on animals has long been debunked.
However, until the majority of cosmetic companies stand up to places like China the practice will continue.
There are hundreds of companies that sell safe makeup and skincare products that have never been tested on animals.
It is possible to do that. I really wish more large parent companies (they are repeatedly the main offenders when it comes to selling in China) would take a stand against animal cruelty.
Is Laneige vegan?
*I struggle to understand a non-cruelty free item being considered vegan.
I do not recommend shopping with Laneige as even their vegan options have been tested on animals.
Laneige does offer a small range of vegan products.
None of which are cruelty free.
Laneige is quite secretive when it comes to sharing their ingredients lists and where these ingredients have been derived from.
Laneige has not declared itself a vegan brand so I think it can just be assumed that they are not.
Is Laneige PETA or Leaping Bunny Approved?
No, neither PETA or Leaping Bunny have approved Laneige.
Is Laneige organic?
Laneige also does not claim to be an organic brand.
As I mentioned before Laneige is very bad at declaring where they get their ingredients from.
I have no idea if they are organic and/or derived from animal products.
As Laneige has not declared themselves as organic, vegan, or cruelty free it is best to assume they are none of the three.
Who owns Laneige?
Laneige is owned by AMOREPACIFIC.
AMOREPACIFIC is the largest beauty company in South Korea and has over 30 different brands in its corporate umbrella.
The company has a history of selling products in China and I would find it hard to accept that any of its brands were truly cruelty free.
Cruelty free Laneige Alternatives
Before we finish up I want to leave you with 5 cruelty free alternatives to the Laneige Overnight Lip Sleeping Mask.
As many of you might be choosing to stop supporting Laneige now.
- The Elf Ride or Die Lip Balm
This is for those of you who are looking for the most bang for your buck.
Coming in at under $5, this lip balm is all sorts of magical.
It's thick enough to be used as an effective overnight mask and comes in a range of mouth-watering scents, including Cookie Dough, Grapefruit, and Mint.
- INTENSE HYDRATION: The e.l.f. Ride Or Die Lip Balm is an intensely hydrating tinted lip balm that adds a sheer wash of color to your lips.
- PLUMP IT UP: Our intense lip balm treatment gives you the ultimate hydrated and plumped lips.
- NOURISHING FORMULA: Infused with Jojoba Oil and Vegan Collagen to nourish and repair dry lips.
- SHEER WASH OF COLOR: The shade Tough Cookie is sheer warm caramel with a warm brown sugar scent.
- SKIN-LOVING INGREDIENTS: All e.l.f. products are made from skin-loving ingredients you want, minus the toxins you don’t—all at good-for-you prices. All e.l.f. products are 100% cruelty-free and Vegan.
- The Tatcha The Kissu Lip
If you want something that comes in at a similar price to the Laneige mask then check out this offering from Tatcha.
This mask is made up of Japanese peach oil and squalene. It is designed for all skin types and smells divine.
- RESTORES: A leave-on jelly treatment of squalane and Japanese peach that restores lips to full lushness.
- ELEGANT: non-sticky jelly melts into skin and layers on to comfort, hydrate, and lock in moisture.
- PLUMPS the look of fine lines and wrinkles for a supple, firm look.
- RESTORES essential moisture to flaky, parched lips for a smooth, soft texture.
- BEAUTIFUL FACES, BEAUTIFUL FUTURES: Every Tatcha purchase supports education equality worldwide. In 2014, we created this fund to help girls stay in school through the Girl’s Education Program in Asia and Africa. As of 2021, your purchases also bring diverse books to underserved communities in the United States through Room to Read’s U.S. Literacy Initiative.
- The Tart Jelly Glaze Lip Mask
This option is not quite as fancy as Tacha's lip mask but boy does it work!
I don't understand who a mask that feels so much like jam can leave your lips feeling that good.
If you're not a fan of sweet smells then you'll want to skip this one.
- The Bite Beauty Agave Vegan Lip Mask
Don't think I've forgotten about you vegan readers.
This Bite Beauty lip mask is going to be right up your street.
This may be my favorite lip mask of all time.
It's moisturizing without being sticky, and it lasts all night.
- A perfect soothing balm for ultimate hydration and recovery that quickly repairs and restores lips.
- A must have for on-the-go lip care, Agave Lip Balm is the perfect travel essential. Agave Lip Balm is a nourishing formula made from agave and rare Madagascan vanilla CO2 extract. Lips stay hydrated and protected all day long, making your lips look natural on their own. It also acts as a primer for any color application.
- Suggested Usage: Use Agave Lip Balm as a part of your daytime ritual. -Follow up with the Agave Sugar Scrub and Agave Lip Mask at night to ensure perfectly exfoliated and hydrated lips.
- Bite Beauty does not contain parabens, phthalates, or sulfates
- The Milk Makeup Melatonin Overnight Lip Mask
My final recommendation is the Melatonin Overnight Lip Mask from Milk Makeup.
This is another vegan option that will leave your lips soft and plump.
It includes topical Melatonin, Persian silk, and naturally derived hyaluronic acid.
- Overnight lip mask that replenishes, hydrates, and calms chapped, dry, and irritated lip skin while you sleep
- Formulated with Hyaluronic acid for smoother, softer, and plumper looking lips
- Topical melatonin and a berry blend help provide antioxidant benefits for rejuvenated-looking lips
- Apply generously as a sleep mask for your lips, or lightly for a daily lip balm
- Milk Makeup has one simple product philosophy - Use good, effective ingredients. Products are made to be easy-to-use and 100% vegan, cruelty-free, and paraben-free always.
Does Laneige Test On Animals?
Laneige is not cruelty free.
Laneige does tests on animals.
Laneige does sell in mainland China.
Laneige is not vegan.
Laneige is not organic.
Laneige is owned by AMOREPACIFIC, which is not cruelty free either.
Last update on 2023-02-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API