Although not everyone is obsessed with hair growth, many people allow supplements, growth oils, and vitamins to take over their cabinets.
Biotin, also known as vitamin H or vitamin B7, is among the most popular supplements that are typically found in several hair growth formulas.
Biotin is used in maintaining healthy nails, skin, and hair.
However, some have experienced acne breakouts due to prolonged use of biotin.
How does this happen?
This post will discuss how biotin causes acne and what you should do should you experience a breakout of acne that is induced by biotin.
So, keep reading to find out how to get rid of acne caused by Biotin…
What is Biotin?
Biotin, also known as vitamin H, is a member of the B-complex class of vitamins.
The role of B vitamins is to assist the human body in the conversion of carbohydrates (food) to glucose (fuel) that produces energy.
Furthermore, B complex vitamins or B vitamins assist the body in metabolizing proteins and fats.
Biotin is used to promote healthy nails, hair, and skin.
They are water-soluble and therefore, the human body cannot store them.
Biotin can be found in numerous skin and hair products due to its strengthening properties.
- [ACNE FACE WASH WITH SALICYLIC ACID] Salicylic acid is a beta hydroxy acid (BHA) that helps gently exfoliate and remove dead skin cells, reduce blackheads & the appearance of pores, and treats & prevents acne. BHA exfoliants feel less harsh than physical ones like face scrubs
- [FOAMING FACIAL CLEANSER] This CeraVe face wash dispenses as a clear gel and transforms into a light, foaming face wash as you lather. The gentle wash and exfoliation smooths and cleanses skin without leaving skin feeling stripped of moisture
- [ACNE WASH WITH OIL ABSORBING TECHNOLOGY] CeraVe Acne Control Cleanser helps prevent new breakouts from forming with purifying clay to help absorb excess oil and niacinamide to help calm skin. Fragrance free, paraben free, & non-comedogenic
- [ 3 ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and make up 50% of the lipids in the skin barrier. All CeraVe products, formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II)to help maintain the skin’s natural barrier.
- [ DEVELOPED WITH DERMATOLOGISTS ] CeraVe Skincare is developed with dermatologists and has products suitable for dry skin, sensitive skin, oily skin, acne-prone, and more.
How Does Biotin Cause Acne?
Biotin increases the skin protein that the human body releases, keratin to be specific.
That is the reason why it helps in the growth of nails and hair as they’re mainly made from keratin.
The excess amount of keratin clogs the skin pores and blends with the skin’s natural oil to form a sticky plug.
This results in comedones, blackheads, and visible acne.
Biotin usually leads to cystic acne since that clog is buried deeper by the rapid-growing skin around it.
If you have experienced a cyst before, you understand the feeling of knowing that you have a clog buried beneath your skin that is not visible to the naked eye.
Cystic acne that forms like this is terrible since they’re very hard to treat and are extremely painful.
Currently, there isn’t adequate scientific research to indicate the actual link between acne and the use of biotin.
However, this statement does not necessarily claim that it doesn’t happen altogether.
Such experiences could be a case-by-case situation although the imbalance of pantothenic acid, vitamins B5 and B7 is among the reasons to do with biotin.
The major problem takes place because when the body has an excess of one vitamin, then there will be a deficiency in the other one.
This means that even if biotin does not cause acne directly, the reduction in vitamin B5 could lead to an acne breakout.
- DEEP CLEANING： Our vitamin C clay mask is formulated with kaolin, the texture is light and easy to apply. Which can effectively absorb oil and dirt from the deep of the skin, deeply cleanse the skin to avoid the formation of blackheads and acne. Say goodbye to stubborn blackheads and acne, the skin is brighten and shiny.
- NATURAL PLANT INGREDIENTS：Our mud mask uses natural and organic ingredients to give the perfect skin care. Carefully selected plant ingredients such as turmeric, Vitamin C, aloe vera and calendula help to gently soothe the skin, effectively nourish the skin and take care of your skin health.
- VITAMIN C AND TURMERIC： Organic turmeric and vitamin C are rich in antioxidants that reduce melanin deposits, stimulate collagen production, even out skin tone, improve dull skin, and restore your youthful radiance.
- MILD AND NOT IRRITATING： The turmeric mud mask is formulated with natural plants, which gently cleans the skin without irritation. Suitable for many skin types including oily, dry and combination skin. The product is gentle for daily use, recommended once a week for dry skin and twice a week for oily and combination skin.
- ENJOY SPA AT HOME： Professional spa treatments are easily enjoy at home. Our masks are easy to use and you can get radiant skin at home with minimal cost and time. Our VC Turmeric Mud Mask effectively cleanses the skin, evens out the skin tone and makes it easy to have healthy skin.
How to Get Rid of Acne Caused by Biotin?
If taking a supplement of pure biotin is the reason why you’re having an acne breakout, then you could instead take a multivitamin containing biotin.
On the other hand, you could also take a multivitamin with B5 since it can assist in balancing out the biotin increase.
Furthermore, hydration is of great significance when dealing with acne.
Several experts recommend taking at least eight glasses of water each day to try and flush out the biotin from your system.
Also, you should use an aloe vera-based moisturizer to assist in restoring the skin’s tranquility.
If the acne break-out worsens, quit taking the supplement immediately and carry out an exfoliation program every day to eliminate the excess skin.
You can use a polyhydroxy, a mandelic acid serum, or an antioxidant scrub to uncover the pores and remove the material that is clogging your follicles.
The acid serum assists in dissolving sebum and other oils while the scrub helps to remove the excess skin.
- This product is non-sealed
- [ CERAVE SA CREAM ] Body moisturizer that gently exfoliates to help soften and smooth dry, scaly, or rough and bumpy skin on legs and upper arms. Rich, velvety texture leaves skin feeling smooth. Absorbed quickly and has a non-greasy feel
- [ EXFOLIATE & MOISTURIZE ] Salicylic Acid & Lactic Acid to help exfoliate, Hyaluronic Acid to help retain skin's moisture, and Niacinamide to help calm skin. SA is a Beta Hydroxy Acid (BHA), an exfoliator that removes dead skin cells and smooths skin.
- [ GENTLE ON SKIN ] Suitable for body. Fragrance free, allergy-tested, and non-comedogenic. Can be paired with CeraVe Salicylic Acid Body Wash for Rough and Bumpy Skin to cleanse & exfoliate.
- [ 3 ESSENTIAL CERAMIDES ] Ceramides are found naturally in the skin and make up 50% of the lipids in the skin barrier. All CeraVe products are formulated with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) to help restore and maintain the skin’s natural barrier
How Do I Get Rid of Acne Caused By Biotin?
Get rid of acne caused by biotin by doing the following…
- Intake a lot of water – preferably 4 gallons per day.
- Take vitamins with B5 to combat it.
- Try Aloe Vera based moisturizers.
- Discontinue using Biotin.
In this post, I’ve covered the following:
- The meaning of biotin.
- How biotin causes acne.
- How to eliminate acne caused by biotin.
Since biotin is water-soluble, it can be flushed out in plenty quite swiftly unlike vitamin D that is stored in the fat cells and takes more time to excrete.
Therefore, when you notice that your acne condition is worsening when you use biotin, intake a lot of water preferably four gallons per day and if the situation doesn’t change, discontinue using the biotin-based product.
Last update on 2023-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API